Sunday, February 6, 2011

Brooklyn Doll

I don't remember exactly how I got into the Toilet Boys. But they were real rock n' roll, raw and primal, as it should be. I do remember that just before I started working at Music Millennium, I had gone into the store trying to special order the Toilet Boys' CD's and at least found a 7" split LP of them and the Donnas.

I used to have a website on Geocities (one of many that I had really) where I would email the musicians that I liked and interview them. It was actually a pretty cool site, I had everyone from Donna D'Errico to the members of Pretty Boy Floyd. I had somehow come across the email addresses of all the members of the Toilet Boys (maybe from their website?) and sent them all an interview, which they all responded.

So, when I found out they were actually gonna play Portland, I was thrilled. Except that it was at the Satyricon. Which was a 21+ only venue. And I was 20. It hardly seemed fair, I was so close. But, I went down to the venue that night anyway. The band was loading in and I asked Sean if I could help. This was the one and only time in my recollection that I was allowed to help. And in helping, the staff at Satyricon assumed I was with the band, and in I was. No questions asked. (This was NOT the only time I was in the Satyricon underage either...)

One of the opening bands was a local group called Freakshow Rodeo, whom I ended up working with for a while after this gig.

The show was amazing, this was a year before the fire in Rhode Island at the Great White show, so pyro was still part of the show. It was amazing show, I sang along every song, which the amazing, lovely and sexy (at the same time) Miss Guy seemed to notice. Toward the end of their set, Miss Guy started thanking people, specific people, and my name came up. I nearly missed it... I heard Michelle, but I thought surely he meant someone else. But he didn't. I was beaming, I had never had a shoutout before.

After the gig was over we all hung out for a bit and eventually ended up at another fan's house for an after party. I remember talking to their merch guy cos he had on a Genitorturers shirt and reminded me of Racci, their old drummer. At the end of the night, I ended up giving Sean and I think either Eddie and/or Rocket a ride back to their hotel, where I got my one and only photo, with Sean. The photo was taken at like... 4am or something, we were all tired and I hated how I looked in the photo for so long, but over time, I've grown not to mind it so much. It was a wonderful night that I wish I could relive one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment