Saturday, February 5, 2011

Adventures at the Bow Part I

So of the many visits I have made to the famous Rainbow Bar and Grill on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood, this was one of the ones that stands out.

I had chatted a little with Mia Tyler over Myspace for some time. I really respect and adore her spirit, beauty and overall attitude. I related to her in a few ways and really enjoyed the few short conversations or quips we had about music and life. I had just finished seeing Brand New Sin at the Whiskey A Go Go with my friend and amazing photographer Robert John. I had taken some photos as well and was showing Robert what shots I actually managed to get with my less than professional camera. I excused myself at one point to use the restroom and headed up the stairs.

As I stepped out of my stall and headed to the sink to wash my hands, I saw another woman standing at the mirror next to me. I glanced over and to my surprise, it was a very familiar face. I wasn't sure if I was going to make a fool of myself by saying this, but I went ahead and said...

"Excuse me, are you Mia Tyler?"

She looks at me and says "Yea"

I say "Oh hey, I'm Michelle. Or Rikki Sixx on Myspace"

"Oh!" she says, her face lighting up with recognition "Hi!!!!"

To the best of my memory, I think I proceeded to tell her how nice it was to meet her and a few other small talk things before I said, "My friend is downstairs with my camera, would you mind stopping by our table and taking a photo with me?"

She obliged and Robert took this photo of Mia and me right there at the Rainbow. I think we spoke a little longer before she left to rejoin her friends. But it was a very sweet and awesome moment, and wasn't even the last.

I continued to keep in touch with Mia over the internet, and the next year when I returned to LA, she was hosting a really cool curvy girls empowerment event called the Love Your Body day. My friend Leah and I were very excited to go to this event, we had a wonderful day speaking with plus size models and everyday plus size girls who are PROUD to be who they are. We were inspired by their stories and entertained with a really cool fashion show. Afterwards, we managed to catch up with Mia and snag another photo for our memories.

To this day, I still try to keep in touch with Mia. Whether it was our Farkle competitions, our love of Jason Segel, or just random status updates or tweets, she is still a really beautiful, funny, amazing and inspirational person and I'm proud to have met her. Muah Mia!

No comments:

Post a Comment